Improve Your Credit Score with a 609 Letter

What exactly is a 609 Credit Repair Letter?

Since the passage of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) in 1970, consumers have had legal remedies for correcting inaccurate information on their credit reports.

Under FCRA Section 609, you are entitled to request an investigation if you feel that any information contained in your credit report is incorrect or incomplete.

You must request this investigation within 60 days of receiving your credit report or within 30 days of noticing the error, whichever is sooner.

Errors on your credit report happen for four different reasons:

1. A creditor (bank, credit card company, or other lender) made a mistake and
reported a late payment or default incorrectly.

2. A collection agency incorrectly reported collecting on debt that doesn’t actually belong to you.

3. Your identity was stolen, and new credit accounts One of your existing accounts (like a
credit card) was compromised and used by someone not authorized.

How To Dispute An Error

If there are errors on your report (not fraud), there are a number of ways you can dispute them.
What’s the best method to file a credit dispute? Filing online is the quickest and easiest way
to do it. The problem, however, is that you don’t have any evidence or a paper trail
regarding your dispute. This is also the case when you file by phone.

Filing by mail has a few distinct advantages:

1. You can include concrete proof along with your dispute, like a credit card statement showing that you made
payment on time.

2. You have a paper record of your dispute.

3.Sending a dispute letter via certified mail ties your claim to a specific date (credit bureaus must respond within 30-45 days).

When you file your credit dispute, be sure to include the following:

1. A copy of your report (highlight the disputed item)

2. Proof that supports your claim

3. A concrete, explicit request that the erroneous information be either corrected or removed
Including supporting proof is important. If you don’t include enough, the credit bureau
may consider your claim frivolous. If that’s the case, they won’t investigate the disputed
item and won’t issue any updates to your credit report.

However, if it’s determined that your dispute is appropriate, an investigation will happen. In
many cases, the bureau will simply contact the creditor in question, determine if anything
is incorrect, and then respond to your claim.

Alternatively, you can file disputes directly with the creditor (bank, credit card company,
or another lender). They are under the same legal requirement to investigate a dispute
that you might file.

After your dispute, one of two things will happen:

1. Successful dispute. Your credit report will be updated, the other credit
bureaus will be notified, and you’ll be A Step-by-Step Guide to Repairing Your Credit • 22
issued an updated version of your credit report.

2. Unsuccessful dispute. No change will occur to your credit score and your
report will note that you disputed an item. You can add a statement to your
credit report that provides context for the dispute and provides clarity when
future creditors review your report.

Taking Things A Step Further If your dispute is unsuccessful, you do have one further option:

File a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). If you choose to file a complaint with
the CFPB, provide as much information as possible, including all your correspondence with the credit bureaus.

After you file your complaint, the CFPB will work with the credit bureaus to attempt to resolve your complaint.
Filing credit disputes is a tedious process, but it’s absolutely necessary if you want to repair your credit. If you don’t dispute

incorrect information, it will remain on your credit report and drag your score down.

Steps to Take if Your Identity Was Stolen

If you believe your identity was stolen, it’s critical that you take immediate action. The longer you wait, the more fraudulent activity
can take place on your account.

Steps to Take if Your Identity Was Stolen

If you believe your identity was stolen, it’s critical that you take immediate action. The longer you wait, the more fraudulent activity
can take place on your account.

Follow these steps:

1. Contact each of the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and
Transunion) and have them place a fraud alert on your account.

2. Freeze your credit reports so that potential creditors are not able to view
your credit reports. This makes it more difficult for new accounts to be

3. Report the theft to the FTC and local police. This creates an “Identity Theft
Report” which can then be used to resolve fraudulent transactions on your
credit report.

Steps to Take if an Existing Account Was Compromised

If you believe that one of your existing accounts, such as a credit card, has been
accessed by unauthorized people, you should immediately contact the creditor.
Usually, the creditor will immediately cancel the card, issue you a new one, and
then correct your credit report with the proper information.

Contact Us today at Yes Credit so we can help you.


Stay Up To Date With Yes Credit News

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Lorem ipsum dolor sit ameticonseiectetur adip scing li elit, sed do eiusmod tempilor incidi.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.